- Anna Maria Island Vacation Guide
Featured Anna Maria Island Vacation Rentals
These are our favorite picks for this area.
Don't miss out on these Florida Vacation Rental Listings
About Anna Maria Island
Discover This Dream Island Nestled On Shore Of The Gulf Of Mexico In Southwest Florida
Cities in Anna Maria Island
A Jewel In Southwest Florida
Anna Maria Island is located on the Gulf Of Mexico in Southwest Florida.
It's a 7-mile long barrier island south of St Petersburg, north of Sarasota, and is accessible by two bridges from the city of Bradenton and one from Longboat Key.
There are 3 small cities on Anna Maria Island island:
- The City of Anna Maria on the northern tip
- Holmes Beach in the center
- Bradenton Beach on the south end
Cities near Anna Maria Island, FL:
- St Petersburg
Zip Code(s) on Anna Maria Island, FL:
Area code for Anna Maria Island, FL:
What County is Anna Maria Island, FL is in?
Highlights of Anna Maria Island
Visitor Information about Anna Maria Island, FL
- There are six award-winning beaches on Anna Maria Island and there is something for everyone from toddlers to octogenarians. You'll find the perfect spot for you on the pristine sandy beaches here.
- Don't be surprised to see golf carts instead of cars on this quaint little island in the sun. A super fun way to zip around the island with the salt air blowing in your hair.
- A Free Trolley service runs the entire length of the island and is a hop-on-hop-off service.
- Sea Turtles are sacred and protected on this island. Hundreds of turtles return to nest each year and the island Shorebird and Turtle Group offer lectures and nest excavations to educate visitors.
- Keep your eyes out for colorful pink Roseate Spoonbills, bald eagles, osprey, brown and white pelicans, egrets, wild green parrots, and snowy plovers that call Anna Maria Island home.
- There are only 3 bridges to the island and speed limits are below 35 mph. Expect slow traffic during the spring, summer seasons, and holidays.
- This is an extremely quiet and sleepy island where most restaurants and bars close up by 10 pm.
- Best suited for nature lovers, families, beach lovers, couples, and snowbirds.
Things to do in Anna Maria Island
Discover the ultimate list of things to do on Anna Maria Island, FL
Things to do on Anna Maria Island
Anna Maria Island is a special place, perfectly suited for outdoor living and animal lovers. Here's a handy list of things to do when you visit Anna Maria Island to help you find out if it's the perfect fit for your next vacation.
- 6 award-winning beaches, don't miss Bean Point an idyllic natural spot on the north end of the island or Coquina Beach for the 4 mile-long bike trail
- surfing, skimboarding, bodyboarding
- fishing (beach, boat and pier fishing)
- boating along the inter-coastal waterway, to nearby Egmont Key, Tampa Bay or out into the Gulf of Mexico all the way up and down the coast
- kayaking and SUP in Bimini Bay, Robinson Preserve, the inter-coastal waterway where calmer waters flow
- mini putting
- boutique shopping in the 3 villages Anna Maria, Holmes Beach, and Bradenton Beach will garner you some unique coastal finds.
- great unique restaurants
You won't find many chains on Anna Maria Island, the majority of businesses are locally owned.
Things to do indoors on Anna Maria Island, FL when it rains
- Shiny Fish Emporium: if you're looking for something that's low-energy, head to the Shiny Fish to paint sand dollars; an activity the kids are sure to enjoy
- Olive Oil Outpost: browse this little shop with an espresso in hand, offering delicious olive oils, pastas, cheeses, balsamic vinegars, and oils from around the world
- Island Yoga Space: try taking a yoga class and, when it's not raining, the studio offers yoga on the beach too
- The Donut Experiment: you can create your unique donut at this spot, choosing from a plethora of icings and toppings atop homemade dough
- Anna Maria Island Historical Museum: learn about the island's rich history at this hands-on approach museum, displaying a variety of artifacts and photographs
Romantic things to do on Anna Maria Island, FL for couples
- Body & Sol Spa & Wellness: head to the spa and relax with your person during a couple's massage
- Anna Maria City Pier: grab an ice cream at Two Scoops or a drink at the pier's grille, and take a stroll at sunset
- Beach Bums: rent two bikes and explore the island together by land
- Spice Sailing Charters: spoil your partner by booking a boat for the day to discover the gulf and neighboring, deserted islands
- Bean Point: the best beach on the island for privacy; clear waters, white sand, and few people
- Watch a sunset together from a Gulf-side beach
- Have a quiet dinner for two at one of Anna Maria Island's unique restaurants
Kid & Family-Friendly things to do on Anna Maria Island, FL
- Anna Maria Island Dolphin Tours: take the kids for a day of sightseeing dolphins in the gulf; these creatures are often friendly and will swim right up to your boat
- The Fish Hole: head over to this spot for 18 holes of mini-putt, no need to bring your own gear since this place is suitable for all ages
- Busch Gardens: plan a day trip to this amusement park for rides and up-close animal encounters; located in Tampa Bay and an approximate hour and 20-minute drive from the island
- Crystal River Manatee Tours: if you're traveling during the winter months, book a tour to sightsee and swim with the gentle giants of the sea - manatees!
- Flip Flop Candy Shop: sitting on the island's popular Pine Avenue, this little shop carries a plethora of candies and chocolates, reminiscent of an old confectionery shop
- CPonies: try horse-back riding on the beach, or 'horse surfing, located across the Cortez bridge on the Palma Sola shoreline
Unique Things to do on Anna Maria Island, FL
- Shiny Fish Emporium: the Hawaiian bubble desserts found here have yet to be recreated & perfected elsewhere; don't be surprised if you end up going home with a box of 12!
- Egmont Key: rent or charter a boat to Egmont Key to swim in the ocean and explore the island's wildlife refuge
- Robinson Preserve: a haven to many dolphins, manatees, birds, and fish species, with over 600 acres of coasted protected habitat to explore
- Island Gallery West: check out the island's locally crafted, Florida- inspired pieces at this gallery; you're sure to bring home an art souvenir to commemorate your trip
- Anna Maria Public Beach: you can expect this beach to be of the same quality as a Caribbean seaside (or even better!)...it's that good
Explore Anna Maria Island
Where To Shop and Dine on Anna Maria Island
Shopping on Anna Maria Island
- Beach Market at Coquina Beach: hosted Sunday's from 10-4, local artisans display their unique products and produce along the beach
- Bridge Street: this street is home to many colorful shops, selling decor, clothes, souvenirs, and more; there are also quite a few restaurants and fun things to do found here
- Anna Maria Rocks: this place is a hidden gem...literally; a unique store that sells crystals, jewelry, fossils, shark teeth, dinosaur teeth, and more
- Island Shopping Center: a quaint strip located in one of the island's centers; situated close to the street so be sure to bring your rental car or hop on the bus if you're up to hit all the stores
- Ellenton Premium Outlets: about a 40-minute drive from the island, this outdoor mall offers 100 stores and restaurants to browse
Dining & Restaurant Options On Anna Maria Island, FL
Anna Maria Island has no shortage of restaurants to try; the sheer amount of different delicious cuisines will keep you coming back year after year; you can dine and enjoy a variety of foods, such as beach grub, Southwestern, Japanese, Italian, American, German, French,... ; beachfront, delivery, take-out, you name it and Anna Maria has it
Best Dine-in Restaurants On Anna Maria Island, FL
- The Waterfront Restaurant: fine American cuisine can be enjoyed here; we suggest you eat al fresco for a stunning view of the water lit up by the faraway city lights shining
- Eat Here: a wonderful and romantic ambiance; definitely ask the lovely staff for the delicious bruschetta as an appetizer for the table
- Smoquehouse: delicious BBQ is served here; be sure to try any meal seared in the house condiment called 'Smoq'n sauce'
- The Feast: another classic American spot, specializing in fresh seafood
- Skinny's Place Incorporated: don't let the look of this 'dive-looking' spot fool you, this is the best burger you'll ever have; perfect if you want something casual for dinner
Anna Maria Island, FL Restaurants On The Water
- Island Ocean Star: a must-try spot on the island; amazing Japanese cuisine offering anything from fresh sushi to a teppanyaki experience
- Beach Bistro: if you're looking to upgrade for dinner, head here for a fine dining experience overlooking the beach
- Sandbar: here, you can eat with your feet in the sand; guess the right time of the sunset for a free bottle of wine!
- Wicked Cantina: Florida's take on Tex-Mex cuisine with a view of the gulf; known to have the best margaritas on the island
- Tide Tables: another gem sitting on the water, selling delicious and fresh seafood plates
- Starfish Company: tender your boat into this restaurant for a quick bite of seafood; this spot fishes for their own seafood
Takeout Restaurants on Anna Maria Island, FL
- Vinny's Italian Kitchen: if there's one place you should get take out from, its Vinny's; authentic Italian cuisine with the best homemade meatballs
- Old Hamburg Schnitzelhaus: if you're feeling adventurous, try this spot for German & Austrian cuisine, offering their own versions of dishes such as sausage, potato pancakes, schnitzel, and more
- Sharky's Seagrill: if you're craving seafood but don't feel like going out, call up Sharky's to pick up a fresh and yummy meal to take home
- Beach House Restaurant: another excellent island takeout option; American cuisine that also offers vegetarian and vegan options
Restaurants That Will Deliver on Anna Maria Island, FL
- The Waffle Press: a unique option for breakfast or brunch takeout, specializing in homemade waffles with a wide variety of toppings
- Oma's Pizza & Italian Restaurant: a great Italian option for delivery; gluten-free meals available; eggplant, garlic bread, calzone & more!
- Island Grill: American cuisine that delivers to your home, carrying an array of steak, seafood, chicken dishes, pizzas, and others
- Domino's: if you're looking for something easy that everyone is sure to like, there is a Domino's on the island that can deliver to you
- Island Eats is a delivery service that delivers from many of the island's restaurants
Best Breakfast & Brunch Restaurants on Anna Maria Island, FL
- Ginny's and Jane E's Cafe: a favorite spot for locals; Ginny's and Jane E's has the coolest vibe with vintage pieces decorating every square inch of the restaurant (all for sale!); not to mention their 'Ja'makin me crazy' coffee is the best
- Rod & Reel Pier: breakfast or brunch with a view can be had at this pier; classic American breakfast foods are served on the second floor
- Paradise Bagels & Cafe: grab a bite to eat then walk over to Manatee Public Beach (just 15 mins away) to enjoy your breakfast or brunch
- My AMI French Food: if you like muffins, you HAVE to try them here as they're lightly toasted with butter on the grill before being served...although, this is just one thing in their variety of breakfast foods
- Minnie's Beach Cafe: another classic on the island with a family-friendly ambiance; vegan and vegetarian options are offered here
- North Shore Cafe is a newer restaurant on the island and is quickly becoming a favorite breakfast place
Local Lunch Eateries on Anna Maria Island, FL You Don't Want To Miss!
- Poppo's Taqueria: exquisite Mexican and Southwestern cuisine; you can create your own bowls and tacos or grab something else like a quesadilla; located on the popular Pine Avenue
- The Ugly Grouper: island seafood and more!; sit on the patio with a coastal atmosphere and enjoy a refreshing drink
- My AMI French Food: this place deserves two mentions!; it's also a great spot for lunch; the French family-owned place makes excellent sandwiches that are incomparable
- Two Scoops: this little spot across from the pier serves lunch; grab a quick bite and a little something from their large ice cream bar after
Are There Bars or Clubs on Anna Maria Island, FL?
- The Doctor's Office: nightlife on the island happens here; fitting the slow-paced vibe of AMI, but a great spot for cocktails, beers, and drinks
- The Freckled Fin in downtown Holmes beach has a lively atmosphere, live music, and a varied menu that leans toward its Irish pub roots
- Bamboo Island Bar is a newer addition to the always hopping Bridge St in Bradenton Beach. Known for their delicious cocktails and globally-inspired gourmet eats, sit back and enjoy the views + music on the weekends
- Island Time Bar & Grill: Located on busy Bridge Street, Island Time has a great location and serves both food and drinks
- At the west end of Bridge St on the beach, you'll find The Beach House Restaurant. Have a refreshing cocktail, enjoy some appetizers (or a full meal!) and take in the view of the spectacular white sand beach - great for sunset too.
Where To Find Vacation Rentals On Anna Maria Island, FL
You're in luck! You can find vacation rentals by owner right here on Florida Rental By Owners (FLARBO)! Our rental listings are 100% managed by the property owner or manager. Ditch the pesky third-party fees and interference and book direct - no middle man (Or woman) here!
Have questions or need some help planning your Anna Maria Island vacation? Join thousands of other travelers on our Anna Maria Island Vacation Travel Group here!
Transportation for Anna Maria Island
Traveling To & Around Anna Maria Island, FL
Flying To Anna Maria Island
There are several airports to choose from all within 2 hours of Anna Maria Island. Whether you live in the United
States, Canada, Europe, and beyond you are sure to find a final destination close by.
Sarasota - Bradenton International Airport is the closest airport to Anna Maria Island. It is 17 miles (27 km ) from Anna Maria Island, travel time is approximately 35 minutes . This airport is serviced by: Air Canada, Allegiant, American Airlines, Delta, Elite Airways, Frontier, Jet Blue, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country, and United. Some routes are seasonal.
St. Pete - Clearwater Airport is located mid-way between Clearwater and St. Petersburg. It is 45 miles ( 72.3 km ) away from Anna Maria Island. It is a destination for low-cost carriers. The main airline carrier is Allegiant Air. PIE is less busy than Tampa International Airport and is frequently used by pilots of private planes and executive jets.
Tampa International Airport is 52.6 miles (85 km) from Anna Maria Island.
Airlines: Alaska Airlines, Air Canada, American Airlines, Breeze Airways, British Airways, Cayman Airways, Copa Airlines, Delta Air Lines, Edelweiss Air, Frontier, Jet Blue, Lufthansa, Silver Airways, Southern Airways Express, Southwest Airlines, Spirit Airlines, Sun Country Airlines (seasonal), Swift Air, United, WestJet
Car rentals, public transit, taxis, limos, Uber, and Lyft are available
Located 111 miles ( 179 km )from Anna Maria Island, approximately 1 hour and 50 minutes.
Airlines: Southwest, Delta, American, Spirit, and Jet Blue.
Car rentals, public transit, taxis, limos, Uber, and Lyft are available
Orlando International Airport is 126 miles (203 km) from Anna Maria Island. Travel time is approximately 2 hours and 10 minutes .
This airport is the second busiest in the state of Florida and services 39 airline carriers. in addition to U.S. and Canadian options, it is the best option for European flights.
Transportation on Anna Maria Island
Many travelers choose to go car-free when visiting Anna Maria Island, FL because of the many transportation options available
The Monkey Bus is just one of the modes of transportation this fun company has. You'll see their golf carts zipping around the island as well. Whether you need a quick ride somewhere on the island, or need a golf cart or bus transportation for an event, like a wedding, or to an event, like a baseball or hockey game, this is the company that can help. Contact ISLAND BEACH MONKEYS . 941-565-6542
Golf Carts, Sports Rentals, Bikes, and More!
Anna Maria Island is very Golf Cart Friendly. It's a fun way to get around in our warm climate. There are several businesses that rent Golf Carts by the day or by the week. There are also lots of other fun things to try like biking, kayaking, paddle boarding. You can rent from our preferred vendor at FUN AND MORE RENTALS. They all deliver to your rental and pick-up too.
There is a free Trolley service on Anna Maria Island. It is super convenient to travel the island from one end to the other from 6:00 AM until 10:00 PM . Go touring, pick up your groceries or go out to dinner and have a drink. Get more info about the schedule and the real-time app here.
Island Pearl Excursions offers three vessels Island Pearl, Now and Then, and Island Girl operating from Cortez on the North end of Sarasota Bay! All vessels depart from the Seafood Shack in Cortez. Take a tour or shuttle across the bay or charter your own private boat for an epic excursion. Contact ISLAND PEARL EXCURSIONS today.
Statistics about Anna Maria Island
168+ Properties for rent
Prices range from $557.14/night
Weather for Anna Maria Island
Soak Up The Sunshine!
Anna Maria Island ranges from very hot at the height of summer, perfect for water activities of all kinds, and cooler in the winter months, but a whole lot warmer than the bone-chilling temperatures of the North!
Summers are hot and humid, and with the humidity comes higher chances of rain. Rain is rarely an all-day event though, be prepared with an umbrella and a plan B for the short time before the sun comes out again.
Fall is one of the best times to visit Anna Maria Island. The days are warm and sunny, while the evenings are cooler and may require a sweater. The rainfall chances diminish greatly from September to October. The days are still warm enough for the beach and other water activities and this is the quietest time of the year - say hello to uncrowded beaches!
Winter daytime temperatures hover around 70F with plenty of sunshine and low chances of rain. This is the busiest time of year on Anna Maria Island with the holidays and school breaks. Pack a jacket and long pants, especially for the cool evenings
Spring, much like the Fall, has ideal temperatures and little chance of rain. The island is still busy, but less so than December through March. It's a great time to visit before school lets out and the island starts hopping again.
FAQs about Anna Maria Island
Answers to the most frequently asked questions.