- Amelia Island Vacation Guide
About Amelia Island
What's Great About About Amelia Island, FL?
Known for being the Island of 8 Flags, this island is rich in history and has had eight different powers leading it since its discovery. The French, Spanish, British, Patriot, Green Cross, Mexican, Confederate, and United States. Boasting natural beauty, luxury resorts, golf courses, sandy beaches, and Parks.
Amelia Island is 13 miles (21 Km) long and 4 miles (6.4 km) wide lending it a quaint close-knit, low-key Southern community vibe.
This breathtaking island has an abundance of sand beaches providing the perfect backdrop for beach activities, fishing, golfing, hiking, shopping, and dining, and vacation rentals abound on Amelia Island.
Cities in Amelia Island
Cities On Amelia Island + Nearby Cities
Amelia Island has 3 cities:
The closest city to the Fernandina Beach Municipal airport and has a hub of shops, grocery stores, and restaurants. This area is home to luxury condos and resorts with challenging golf courses close to the beach.
Found on the northern tip of Amelia Island, Fernandina Beach is rich in history and Southern charm. It covers 11 square miles and has the largest population on the island of a little over 12,000. This is where you can find the largest selection of grocery stores and restaurants on the island.
This little community is the heart of the island hosting the Shrimp Festival among many others. It has a relaxed low key atmosphere. Take a horse carriage through the 50-block Historic District and admire the 19th-century mansions. Catch a boat tour from out of one of the marinas. Fort Clinch State Park is found just north of Fernandina Beach with the best-preserved 19th-century fort in the U.S.A. Many endangered animals call this state park home.
Founded in 1935 by Florida's first African American millionaire. It was used as a retreat for Abraham Lincoln Lewis' employees. Now a quaint village full of period homes by the sea. It is an idyllic getaway for some peace and quiet. Franklintown is located in the southern half of Amelia Island showcasing newer homes and condos built from 1970 onwards. There is a multitude of golf courses, nature trails, and opportunities to horseback ride directly on the beach.
Cities Near Amelia Island, FL:
- Atlantic Beach, FL
- Jacksonville, FL
- Jacksonville Beach, FL
- Palm Valley, FL
- Orange Park, FL
What Is The Zip Code For Amelia Island? 32034
What Is The Area Code For Amelia Island? 904
Which County Is Amelia Island In? Nassau County
Highlights of Amelia Island
What's Great About Amelia Island?
- Amelia Island Hiking Trail
- Breathtaking Beaches
- Beach Activities - beachcombing/walking, horseback riding, boating, jet skiing
- Outdoor Activities - golfing, hiking
- Historic District
- Main Beach Park
- The Historic District
- Nature Center at Omni Amelia Island Plantation
Fishing, golfing, hiking, shopping, and dining. Incredible vacation rentals abound on Amelia Island. There are tons of things to do. Not to be missed is the Main Beach Park, the Historic District, the seven golf courses on this tiny island, the Nature Center at Omni Amelia Island Plantation, whale watching, unspoiled beaches, and endangered wildlife. Amelia Island hosts coastal festivals such as the Amelia Island Jazz Festival, Film Festival, Chamber Music Festival, Blues Festival, Concours de'Elegance (classic cars), Petanque (sport), and the Island of Eight Flags Shrimp Festival to name a few.
Things to do in Amelia Island
You Won't Want To Miss These!
Amelia Island is a truly special place, perfectly suited for outdoor enthusiasts, history buffs, and golfers. Here's a handy list of things to do to help you find out if it's the perfect fit for your next vacation.
Things To Do On Amelia Island
- 13-miles of sandy beaches, rivers and nature sanctuaries
- The historic village of Fernandina Beach with ghost tours and horse-drawn carriage rides
- Surfing, skim boarding, body boarding, SUP boarding
- Fishing (beach, boat, and pier fishing)
- Boating (sailing, canoeing, kayaking, backwater jet boating, air boating, sunset, dolphin and pirate cruises)
- Diving and snorkeling
- Eco-tours and turtle season
- Parasailing, hand gliding
- Boutique shopping
- Mini putting
- Pirate playground
- Miles and miles of state parks and nature trails
- Abundance of restaurants
Things to do indoors on Amelia Island when it rains
- Marlin and Barrel Distillery: hand-made products crafted with local ingredients, tours and samples available on site
- The Maritime Museum of Amelia Island: full of artifacts to view dating back to the 1600s, learn about the days of pirates and discover gold treasure
- Island Vintage Market: bring home a souvenir after browsing the plethora of eclectic vintage goodies
- Island Art Association: island-inspired pieces you can take home to commemorate your trip
- Amelia Island Escape Rooms: challenge your puzzle solving skills with your travel buddies and have some fun inside
Romantic things to do in Amelia Island for couples
- The Spa at Omni Amelia Island Resort: unwind with your partner after booking a couples massage
- George Crady Bridge Fishing Pier State Park: take a stroll down the pier at dusk to watch the sun go down together, the spot makes for beautiful pictures too
- Amelia Island Horse-Back Riding: try something new together and go horse-back riding along the beach
- Restaurants at the Ritz-Carlton: spoil your partner to a special dinner at one of two restaurants at Amelia Island's Ritz-Carlton
- On the Water Adventures: Captain Carol comes highly recommended, book a private boat tour with your partner to learn about Amelia Island land & sea, chances of spotting dolphins are high!
- Fernandina Beach: relax by the ocean and sunbathe together at Fernandina Beach
Kid & Family-Friendly things to do in Amelia Island
- Main Beach: take the family to Main Beach for a day f fun under the sun, great spot for shelling
- Pirate Playground: the kids will enjoy this large playground, they'll stay occupied with the many structures found there
- Amelia Adventures & Kayak: discover Amelia Island's wildlife on a kayak tour between the mangroves
- Fernandina Beach Pinball Museum: get nostalgic and teach the kids how to work the pinball machine, with over 20 games to choose from
- Amelia Island Carriages: go on a land tour by horse carriage through the island's historic district
Things to do unique to Amelia Island
- Amelia Island Historic District: this historical area full of shops, restaurants and more, the various signs around different buildings lay out the unique history of Amelia Island
- Amelia Musical Playhouse: this venue hosts a variety of spectacular performances throughout the year
- Fernandina Farmers' Market: load up and feast on the local, fresh and delicious produce found at this market
- Shrimping Museum: educate yourself on the maritime history of Amelia Island, particularly its shrimping traditions, by making a stop at this spot
- Eight Flags Antique Market: sitting on one of Amelia Island's main streets, this shop is brimming with antique treasures
- Fort Clinch State Park: this monument has stood the test of time, stroll through the fort and visit the on-site museum
Explore Amelia Island
Favorite Restaurants And Shopping On Amelia Island
Shopping on Amelia Island
The Historic District is the best place on Amelia Island to do some shopping; the following are just a few examples of the wide variety of stores located in this area:
- Hawaiian Soap & Trading Company: ethically-sourced, environmentally-friendly, and hand-made soaps crafted by local artisans
- Story & Song Neighborhood Bookstore: buy a few books or even read a few books at the shop with a cup of coffee or glass of wine in hand
- Amelia Surf Company: if you're into surfing or skating, this is the spot for you; check out their gear and beach apparel
- Monkey Barrel: take the kids to this local children's store for toys
- Christmas Shop On The River: 'tis the season... even in the summertime! Head to this xmas decor store so you're ready when the holiday comes
- Olive Amelia: sample a delicious selection of pure and infused olive oils sourced from around the globe, and aged balsamic vinegars
- Twisted Sisters: ladies, this is the place to go for your island apparel and coastal home decor
Dining On Amelia Island:
Top Restaurants On Amelia Island
- Salty Pelican Bar & Grill
- Down Under Restaurant
- Beach Diner Fernandina Beach
- Salt Life Food Shack
- Timoti's Seafood Shak
Restaurants that will deliver
- Natural Slice Pizza and Surf Shop: yummy and affordable pizza can be delivered right to your door from this place
- Surcheros Fresh Mex: here, Southwestern and Mexican cuisine is offered with classic goods such as burritos bowls and quesadillas
- Stephanie's Sugar & Spice Cafe: a step up from your average cafe; be sure to order the prosciutto-wrapped figs or rustic apple tart
Best Breakfast & Brunch Restaurants
- Beach Diner: this place reminds of a classic American breakfast; take your meal outside to their patio too
- Patio Place: this spot prides itself on taking inspiration from different countries' cuisine to craft their meals, and serves locally roasted coffee
- Coast: enjoy your breakfast or brunch while overlooking the seashore
Local Lunch eateries you don't want to miss!
- Tavern By AIBC: a restaurant for all ages, but offers the best beer from Amelia Island's Brewing Company; enjoy a drink in this NYC loft atmosphere
- Brett's Waterway Cafe: bask in the sun by the water with a refreshing drink in your hand from Brett's and a delicious lunch
- Aloha Bagel & Deli: if you're looking for something quick, try Aloha's for bagels, sandwiches, salads, and sweets
Are there Bars or Clubs in Amelia Island?
- The Decantery: all (legal) ages gather at this bar for unique cocktails, beer, and by the glass wine, accompanied by little cakes
- Sheffield's at The Palace: the place to club in Amelia Island is at Sheffield's, offering all types of drinks, different events, and a great DJ
Where to find Vacation Rentals on Amelia Island, FL
You're in luck! You can find vacation rentals right here on Florida Rental By Owner (FLARBO)! Our rental listings are 100% managed by the property owner or manager. Ditch the pesky third-party fees and interference - no middle man (Or woman) here!
Do you have questions about Amelia Island Florida, or need help planning your trip? Join our Amelia Island Travel Facebook group here
Transportation for Amelia Island
Traveling To And Around Amelia Island
Flying To Amelia Island
There is an abundance of airports to choose from all within 2 hours of Amelia Island. Whether you live in the United States, Canada, Europe, and beyond you are sure to find a final destination close by.
Jacksonville International Airport is the closest airport to Amelia Island. It is about 25 miles (40 km) away. Travel time is approximately 40 minutes. This airport is serviced by the following carriers; United, American, Delta, Allegiant, Southwest, Silver Air Canada, and JetBlue. Check available flights with each carrier. Car rentals are available.
Fernandina Beach Municipal Airport is on Amelia Island and is the best option for private planes. It is designed to accommodate Gulfstream iV airplanes or smaller. Located at 650 Airport Road, Amelia Island.
The Savannah Hilton Head International Airport is 125 miles (202 km) away from Amelia Island. Travel time is approximately 1 hours and 55 minutes. This airport services the following airline carriers. Air Canada, Allegiant (seasonal), American, Delta, JetBlue, Suncountry (seasonal), United Airlines. Car rentals are available.
Orlando International Airport is 188 miles (302 km) away from Amelia Island. Travel time is approximately 2 hours and 50 minutes. Be careful of traffic in Orlando, it is a busy city but is also a nice stop for shopping and of course Disney and other amusement parks before arriving on the island. It also has a hotel on site for late night arrivals or early departures. This airport is the second busiest in the state of Florida and services 39 airline carriers. in addition to U.S. and Canadian options, it is the best option for European flights. Rental cars are available.
Driving To Amelia Island
Amelia Island is within a 5 1/2 hour drive from the following cities nearby in the state of Florida, Georgia, and South Carolina.
Distance from Major Nearby Cities
- Atlanta, GA - 356 mi/573 km
- Charleston, SC - 227 mi/365 km
- Jacksonville, FL - 33 mi/53 km
- Miami, FL -379 mi/610 km
- Orlando, FL - 177 mi/285 km
- Savannah, GA - 127 mi/204 km
- Tampa, FL - 233 mi/375 km
Transportation on Amelia Island
If you're on Amelia Island without a car there is an abundance of transportation options to get you to Amelia Island from the airports including Uber, taxis, shuttles, and limousine services. Most are open 24 hours a day but we highly suggest booking transportation in advance.
- If you decide to rent a car while on Amelia Island Hertz Car Rental and Enterprise Rent-A-Car have locations on the island.
- Another way to get around on Amelia Island is by bike! There are several bike rental options, choose the one nearest you.
- Happy out on the water? From sailing excursions, charters, powerboats, and kayak rentals there is a multitude of choices to get out there.
Electrical Vehicle Charging Stations - EV
- Fernandina Beach Central Library 25 N 4th St
Statistics about Amelia Island
2+ Properties for rent
Prices range from $97/night
Weather for Amelia Island
What Weather To Expect On Amelia Island
December through January are the coolest months on Amelia Island Florida but it still suits many snowbirds from northern states.
The Best Time to Visit Amelia Island, FL:
Spring through Fall have the perfect temperatures for outdoor activities and beach days.
The Rainy Season on Amelia Island, FL:
February, June, July, August, and September. On average, August is the wettest month and November is the driest month.
The Atlantic Hurricane Season, including Amelia Island, FL:
Is from June to November, with the peak season from mid-August to late October. However, there have only been three hurricane-strength storms to pass near Amelia Island in the last 155 years
The average humidity in Amelia Island, FL:
Ranges from 72-79%
FAQs about Amelia Island
Answers to the most frequently asked questions.