On February 7th, 2018, vacation rental owners and hotel companies will joining forces to mark the first ever #BookDirect day.
Vacation rental owners and hotel companies share the same struggles trying to gain a market-share voice against giant online travel agencies (OTAs) that charge commission and traveler fees. Together these industries are forging together with a #BookDirect day campaign to educate travelers and guests on the benefits of booking direct. It’s one of the core values of Florida Rental By Owners (FlaRBO) so we are understandibly excited to participate in the #BookDirect campaign. We’re helping to spread the word that Booking Direct has huge benefits.
“The Direct Booking Movement is about balancing out the scales - with consumer education being a crucial step towards a fairer game.” - Triptease
• At FlaRBO we know our travelers are guaranteed the best price by booking directly with the owner. Not only is the guest getting the best value for their money, they are likelier to have a better guest experience with one on one service directly from the owner.
A monopoly of 95% market-share in any industry is unfavorable for the traveler and homeowner. By tipping the scales on #BookDirect day owners and hoteliers can leverage the combined effort and reach a larger audience. The impact that multiple voices can have is invaluable.
February 7th take action with a few of our suggestions:
• Book direct and save. Did you know that Airbnb, VRBO, HomeAway and TripAdvisor add hundreds of dollars of fees to your booking total?
• When you book direct, you have direct contact with the manager or owner. When booking a vacation rental, peace of mind is important. Want to know if there is a grill, a kayak, 24/7 service, a grocery store close by? When you book direct, you can find out many of these important questions and more before you commit to a reservation.
• The best price isn’t on the OTAs: Unlike hotels, OTAs and aggregators (like Airbnb, Expedia, Booking.com, VRBO.com, HomeAway, TripAdvisor, and FlipKey) don’t have the best price for travelers. In fact, you can save hundreds by booking directly with the owner.
• Many of the best vacation rentals aren’t even listed on the major sites. We're seeing an Exodus of owners from VRBO and HomeAway towards regional booking sites like Florida Rental By Owners (FlaRBO.com) Because of the cost of using the big sites, the best vacation homes with the highest demand cannot be found on the big websites. Along North Carolina’s beaches, alone, only 30 percent of the homes for rent can be found on the big websites. By limiting your search to the aggregating websites, you might be missing out on the best vacation home for your family or group.
• Managers and owners have intimate knowledge of the destination. They can direct you the best sports rentals, restaurants, things to do, tours and experiences for your dream vacation.
• If you have special needs, a manager or homeowner can help. Looking for help with your family’s special needs or help with pets? A manager or owner can work with you directly to help with any of your individual needs and give you these assurances before you commit to a booking.
• During non-peak travel times, managers and owners have special offers available. From events and activities to special rates to onsite services, with direct communication with managers and owners, you get insider knowledge and the best offers.
Florida Rental By Owners is part of the Vacation Home Rental Network. In 2017 this network of travel fee-free websites saved travelers an estimated $100,000 dollars*. Florida Rental by Owners is proud to have saved travelers over $27,000 in less than a year since we've launched.
It's time to band together and launch your own personal #BookDirect campaign. No matter how small your property a common voice among our industry can lead to great results.
Feel free to use our graphics below for your own campaign, ensure you do not modify or alter it. You can add your own message in your social media posts, newsletters, blog articles and website content.
*Based on the average booking to inquiry closing ratio, average traveler fee percentage, and average rental rate of $1,500